Escape sequences in SQL*Loader

From: Morten Myrvold <someone_at_somwehere.no>
Date: 1997/12/02

Hi all,
I'm using SQL*Loader to load our database tables from text files. Some of these columns contain text with CR's embedded. My question is: how do I specify a CR (carriage return) in my SQL*Loader data file??? As far as I can tell, each row in the text file corresponds to exactly one row in the database table (so inserting a "real" carriage return is not the solution). I've tried to use the commonly-used escape character '\' (backslash) and the hex-code for linefeed (0x0A). However, it doesn't seem that SQL*Loader treats my backslash as an escape character??? I also tried the C syntax '\n' with no luck...
In SQL*Plus, I discovered that there's an ESCAPE option (which by the way is default OFF on my system).
SET ESCAPE ON results in SQL*Plus seemingly ignoring all my backslashes in INSERTs (except of course when I double-backslash - a single backslash is produced). I'd like to think that there's a similar option for use with SQL*Loader that I have to enable for it to accept my newlines. Is this the casae? If so, how do I enable it? I'm not able to find any info on this subject...

Regards,
Morten Myrvold
Sysdeco Profdoc AS, Kongsberg, NORWAY Received on Tue Dec 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST