Re: Move data from one server to another

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/24

Casper Thrane <ct_at_benau.dk> wrote in article <34783B74.DB409682_at_benau.dk>...
> Is it possible to move data from one server to another server through
> sql*plus/sql-script?
> --

I usually do it using a database link with a create table statement, e.g.

CREATE DATABASE LINK sourcedb ....etc.

CREATE TABLE foo
UNRECOVERABLE AS SELECT * FROM foo_at_sourcedb;

Alternatively, you can use a INSERT INTO foo SELECT * FROM foo_at_sourcedb

Word of warning though. There is a bug with dead connection detection across db links. Let's say you're doing a complex SELECT from the remotedb, the listener times you out if you have CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER set. It seems that while the remotedb is processing the SQL, no traffic goes up or down the link. After a while listener times it out thinking it's a dead connection. We have tried several bug fixes from Oracle, but still run into this problem. We usually just change the CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER to zero and reload the listener before running these types of SQL's.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST