Re: BACKUP STRATEGY

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_dev.null>
Date: 1997/11/24

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.misc and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

qutub_at_hotmail.com wrote....
> Hi ,
>
> I am in the stage to design the backup strategy for our 30GB database
> running with cluster machines with Oracle parallel server. Database is
> required 24 hours , seven days a week.
>
> I am planning for the implementation of HOTBACKUP, do i need logical
> backup (export) of the database? if yes , what is the best way to
> implement for my enviroment. A complete export takes 8 hours daily.

Exports are primarily used to check for block corruption in production environments. Obviously, you are talking about losing data in a real world scenario if you need to recover using an export. Normal recovery would restore your datafiles from backup and then apply your archive logs.

If you are using Oracle7, schedule an export once a week or at some interval sufficient enough to scan for correct data blocks. No reason to run an export every night, once a week should be sufficient. If you are using Oracle8, there is a db_verify command that will do this for you instead of running these wasted exports. --- Neil

--
Neil Greene			Senior System Engineer / Oracle DBA
MCI Systemhouse, Inc.

Email:		<mailto:ngreene_at_laoc.SHL.com>
Pager Email:	4112636_at_PageMCI.com		Pager:	800-411-2636