Re: ORACLE on NT vs. UNIX

From: Haakon T. Soenderland <haakonts_at_online.no>
Date: 1997/11/01

In article <01bce637$86c3cd20$3207f689_at_jwf10.acom.mil>, rhadam_at_super.zippo.spamfree.com says...

> I've used SQL*Forms in the past, but maybe PowerBuilder...
>
> I've called Oracle and asked to have an Oracle salesdroid get in
> contact, but I'd like to get some independent ideas on a server
> operating system and development tools.
>
> Any takers?

If you are starting from scratch I suggest that you try to avoid Developer/2000. The product is bug-ridden, slow and very hard to learn. Powerbuilder or Centura would probably be my first choices if your clients are Windows 95/NT only. There are probably other toos out there that can do the job as well. All these products have problems, D2K just has so many more of them.

If you need to go multi-platform I suggest thinking Java or web-based. If you expect to need high availability and/or heavy OLTP action I suggest you look at a TP-monitor. I have good experiences with Tuxedo. One product I have looked at that looks really good is Tuxedo JOLT. This gives you a multi-tier TP environment with Java clients. Pick a good Java builder (Borland, Sybase, Symantec, IBM has offerings) and combine it with the JOLT java classes, looks like a winner to me.

Haakon
(7 years experience with SQL*Forms) Received on Sat Nov 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST