Re: Oracle NT or UNIX (was Re: Oracle Right choice for a City?)

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1997/10/24

I don't know why anyone else might say don't use NT or Netware but I know why I prefer UNIX.

In my experience NT has not proven to be a stable or reliable environment. I have two NT servers, neither of which has gone a whole week without crashing. Having come out of a UNIX environment where we would reboot our servers once a quarter just to assure ourselves that there were no problems I am of the opinion that NT isn't quite ready for prime time. I know that NT is the operating system of the future -- but I work in the present.

If you do want to go with NT and an RDBMS overengineer your hardware configuration to protect you from the vagaries of NT. If you have more than one processor go to a multinode configuration with your processors split among the nodes. Use a multiport RAID or Storage Server.

Jerry