Re: Oracle NT or UNIX (was Re: Oracle Right choice for a City?)

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/10/26

Joseph D. Sumalbag (joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com) wrote:

:    3. Unix's advance scripting capability make administration

: job simplier ( awk , ksh , csh , sh etc ) ( One example
: is you can create just ONE file that both contains
: a mix of SQL statements , awk , sh commands to backup the,
: database , maintain and monitor disk space , send
: mailing lists reports , inform the administrator if there
: were some problems, delete old no longer needed files
: With NT scripting you should atleast separate the SQL
: statements with the batch and have the batch call it .
: Or if you need to be more sophisticated Use a 3 GL tool.)
I use the Cygnus ports of the GNU tools (www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32) and the PERL 5 DBI and DBD modules (www.hermetica.com) on my own NT box to allow me to resuse some of the normal Unix monitoring scripts. They are not supported by Microsoft, but do work well. It would be nice to have a real scripting language supplied by MS, but until then we are stuck with using 3rd party tools. IAP
--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with