Re: OpenIngres vs Oracle

From: Roy Hann <rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/22

> Are there any REAL comparisions and benchmarkings ?

There is much more to choosing a fast and productive DBMS than benchmarks, but just this once I will allow myself to join in the benchmarking hysteria.

> Some time ago Computer Associates stated that OpenIngres 2.0 will be
> (unofficially) benchmarketed (TPC-C'ed, TPC-D'ed, ...).
> OpenIngres 2.0 is now available. Is anybody know something
> about OI2.0 tests ? It is _VERY_ interesting for OI users.

The TPC benchmarking that CA is doing on 2.0 is not unofficial, it is the real thing. When the results are audited by the TPC they will be published. Elsewhere someone has said they will be published in the next few months. I don't recall that timeframe being mentioned at the UK IUA meeting, but I could be wrong. I would have thought it would take longer to get all the red-tape out of the way.

I don't think I am being indiscreet if I also say that CA is taking no chances that might result in a lacklustre benchmark result. The software is being tested "to destruction", to ensure a good result. CA would not have committed to do this in public if they weren't pretty sure they were going to make people sit up and notice.

Roy Hann                            rhann_at_bkbcs.com
BKB Client/Server (UK) Ltd.         http://www.bkbcs.com
Tel: +44 (0)411 071844              "OpenIngres & Java Solutions"