Re: Enterprise Manager and Performance Pack

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/10/14

Fredrik HÃ¥kansson wrote:

> Can anyonoe tell me if there is a difference between Enterprise Manager and
> Performance Pack? Is it possible to use one without the other. The reason
> for asking this is that I am looking for a graphical administration tool
> that you can run with a workgroup server and I've been told that Enterprise
> Manager with Performance Pack only van be used on an Enterprise Server.
> Anyone?

 The Performance pack comes as an extra with the Enterprise manager software and has a license fee attached to it whereas the base Enterprise Manager software comes free of charge. It is therefore possible to install Enterprise Manager without the performance pack.
I have actually found the licensing cost to be quite expensive and have been quoted ~$350 per monitored user. This may be reasonable for a small site with little or no DBA expertise, but for large sites employing skilled DBA's I would regard this as a waste of money as most DBA's ought to be able to duplicate (maybe not as prettily!) what the performance pack offers.

As far as the usablity of Enterprise Manager goes, I have used both the Win95 and NT versions to look at instances on both Unix (SQL*Net v2 connection) and NT, although the earliest version I have used it with is 7.2. I have also used it with a 7.3 installation of Personal Oracle 7.

Hope this information is useful,

Ian Received on Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT