Can finally access Oracle from web server

From: Terry Bentley <bentleyt_at_wl.aecl.ca>
Date: 1997/10/10

Finally success! I've been trying for months to access a VAX/VMS Oracle 7.2 database from my NT4.0 IIS server using ADO. I am using SQL*Net Client 2.2.2.1.0

Microsoft has come out with an Oracle ODBC driver (v2.73.726900) that you can download off the web. It is part of a Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/data/downloads.htm It says that it is 5.45 MB for the NT version but when I downloaded it it was actually 6.225MB. It took me about 15 tries to download but it finally all came in. (I guess this helps Microsofts download stats)

I followed their instruction to reboot first and shutdown all of the WWW, ftp, … services before doing the install. Important thing to note. Use the Custom install not the Typical install. By default the Oracle driver does not get loaded. There are three things to install when you choose Custom that you can select. Click on DataSource and then the button "Show Subcomponents" and turn on Oracle.

Good Luck! Received on Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT