Q: Backup solutions

From: Don <name_at_isp.dom>
Date: 1997/09/24

We have jumped into the world of Oracle 7.3 on a SUN Ultra Enterprise server. We are currently using striping, double mirrors, shared disk arrays, and a second server. We've implemented the Veritas First-Watch high availability solution for max up-time.

We believe we would like to do HOT backups. It sounds like that would involve breaking the 2nd mirror, backing it up, and remaking the mirror. This server can not afford ANY downtime even for backups. Our backups will involve tape rotations to an "on-site" hazard hardened vault, as well as an "off-site" hazard site. The backup needs to be done in such a manner that system restoration could be done in the SHORTEST possible time. Again, minimum down time.

Is there any particular backup solution (software and/or hardware) that you have found to be VERY successful, or a dismal failure?

All of our AIX systems (16 at last count) are using C-TAR as the backup solution, but most of these systems can easily tolerate downtime.

Why the emphasis on zero downtime? We are a group of 4 hospitals. Doctors and especially nurses just don't tolerate a down system - it does not matter why the system is down.

Thx, in advance, for your thoughts.

Don Dealy, II
Legacy Health System
Portland OR USA

email: dondealy_at_teleport.com Received on Wed Sep 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT