Re: 70 users and Oracle 8 Workgroups

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/09/22

Scott Gentley <mscottg_at_ici.net> wrote in article <01bcc603$1edaf980$3616b4cf_at_mscottg.ici.net>...
> My site is currently trying to determine if the following configuration
> could support 70 users and Oracle 8 Workgroups.
 <snip>
> The applications would be developed using Developer/2000 forms. The
> largest application would have the following table sizes:
> Table 1 50,000 rows
> Table 2 500,000 rows (child of table 1)
> Table 3 2 to 3 Million rows (child of table 2)
> Table 4 500,000 rows
> Table 5 750,000 rows
> 1-5 users would be querying the above tables many times throught the day
> and the remaining users would be doing sporadic data entry.

How long is a piece of string? :-) It's very difficult to tell whether or not a specific config will meet the end-user's processing requirements - expecially seeing that you have users doing queries thru the day. A single bad query can kill the machine. Even a query trying to join tables 1,2,3 and process a million rows may be a problem.

The other side of the coin is the actual Oracle configuration itself. You put tables 2 and 3 on a single disk, and you may quite likely have a disk i/o bottleneck. You make the buffer sizes to small and the disks are also likely to be trashed.

And then there's impact of the network too. For example, if the user queries are pulling large chunks of data from Oracle running their queries, they may effect the OLTP users' response times.

My experience has been that the hardware is seldom undersized at first. It's usually capable of handling the first phase of the life cycle of a system - the hardware vendor usually make sure of that ;-). The "problems" are the way the system is configured (like forgetting to turn on internal buffer cashing on a brand new raid system <grin>), the way Oracle is configured and how the system is used by the users.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Sep 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT