Re: Should I buy Oracle??

From: Archie Russell <archier_at_pangeasystems.com>
Date: 1997/09/16

Azhar Chowdhury wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am dedicated developer of Informix's tools. Recently local
> Oracle Consultant asked me to use Oracle 8 and leave
> Informix.
>
> Do anyoney any comments..
>
> Regards,
>
> Azhar.
>
> PS. I don't know nothing about Oracle!!

I can't say much about the server, but the two tools I've used have both had major problems (bugs and inadequacies). Support has yet to fix or give an acceptable workaround for the first bug my colleague reported well over a month ago, another major one that I ran into (after mimicking an example in the text) was commented on at their support website--the support page said that doing what the user was trying to do was impossible with the Pro*C tool. The user was doing something that was described in some detail in the text.

As for market presence, it's pretty obvious that Oracle has the lion's share, so if you're trying to make money, you might want to avoid all this anecdotal stuff and go ahead and switch, but be wary of tools, and always have a backup plan.

Hope this helps,
A Received on Tue Sep 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT