Re: Should I buy Oracle??

From: Sam Brown <brown_at_technovationsNOSPAM.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

Azhar Chowdhury wrote:

> I am dedicated developer of Informix's tools. Recently local
> Oracle Consultant asked me to use Oracle 8 and leave
> Informix.
>
> Do anyoney any comments..

Depending on which newsgroup or forum you ask your question, your answer will vary :-). Ths is the bias factor that someone pointed out.

Here is my "objective set of rules".

  1. Stick to what you know best. Oracle is a great product, but every product makes tradeoffs.
  2. Letting a DBA or Consultant tell you what to do is like the tail wagging the dog. My condolences if this happens to you.
  3. If you can't find DBAs, Consultants or employees who can do the work that you need done, forget about rule 2. You need professional help!

I think both Oracle and Informix are great products. They would not have been such major players unless they were.

One word about support. I have had great support from Oracle, and as someone pointed out earlier, Oracle is less rigid than some other companies I know. Also, I have noticed that you get better support if you channel it through your oracle sales consultant (for more complex problems).

--
Sam Brown, Technovations International Inc.
http://www.technovations.com