Re: file upload to web server

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/30

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:02:53 -0700, MH <mmh_at_pinioncorp.com> wrote:

>we are trying to build a process that allows us to upload a file/img
>from a client browser to our oracle web server 3.0. you could see this
>sort of things as an attach button in most of mail web site (like
>mailexcite.com and hotmail,...). I would think that the way it would
>work is that we would have to build a cartridge (java, C) that gets the
>ip address (of the client) and the name of the file from a pl-sql
>cartridge. the C cartridge would have to include some kind of ftp/get,
>error checking,... Obviously the file would have to be inserted into the
>database using some kind of long raw image server cartridge. Am I right
>or I am totaly out of it? does anyone have any ideas on how exactly
>thing attachment/upload would work? can someone point us to a source
>where we could see such code or even an internet source or even a book
>that detail the type of coding that we need to do?
>your help is greatly appreciated.
>manuel

check out http://govt.us.oracle.com/ under 'downloadable utilities' for the OWA replacement cartridge. it deal with file uploads from Netscape browsers (only browser to support the mutipart/form-data enctype in forms so far). In this way, a simple HTML form may be used to transmit files from the client to the server (no ftp, no java). the OWA replacement cartridge deals with this enctype transparently and stores the uploaded files in a long raw for you, your pl/sql routine gets the primary key to the long raw, not the long raw itself.

You get the source code (it is a version 2.0, 2.1 style cartridge. It works just fine with OWAS3.0 and the dnld.html page tells you special considerations for 3.0). It uses the 2.x WRBSDK api, not the new 3.0 api calls (but all of the old ones are still supported)...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Aug 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT