Re: Connecting to an Oracle 7 database via SQL*Net v2

From: Rollin Weeks <Rollin.Weeks_at_mail1.dh.trw.com>
Date: 1997/08/20

Rolf van Gelder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've got a Voice Response System running that gets it's info from
> an Oracle database. The application (written in Pro*C) is running
> under DOS. Connecting to the database via SQL*Net version 1 runs
> okay but now we want to upgrade to SQL*Net version 2.
>
> What do we have to do???
> Do we need new versions of the sqltcp.exe and sqltcp.pxe files?
> If yes where/how can we get them?
> What other changes have to be made?

I can'd address the question of the sqltcp.xxx files, because I have not run under DOS. One of the main changes for SQLNet 2 is the way in which connections are made. You will need to set up a tnsnames.ora file; it has a format that is different from the previous version of SQLNet. You give each server/instance a symbolic alias; for example, if you have an SID called joe on a server-host bill, these are combined into a single alias, let's say, new_joe.

The old connecion would have been something like:

connect userid/password@'t:bill.host.id.com:joe'

(or you might have used an IP address rather than bill.host.....).

All this is taken care of in the tnsnames.ora file now, and the connect string uses the new alias:

connect userid/password@'new_joe'

Good luck,
Rollin Weeks Received on Wed Aug 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT