Re: How can i load datefile into a table?

From: Brian Lawler <brian.lawler_at_mci.com>
Date: 1997/08/04

I know of two ways.

The first is to format your data so that is makes a number of inset statements... in essence a data file of records becomes an SQL command file of equal number insert statements. I have often done this using unix text processign commands such as sed and awk or with desktop database tools like lotus 1-2-3 or access. Then you can call this SQL command file from the Oracle SQL*Plus command line using the START command.

The other way, I use it daily, is to use SQL Loader. SQL Loader (the command is sqlload) takes your delimited text data and a control file to import the delimited data into an Oracle table. The delimited data can be fixed position, colon separated, etc. and you can do some very limited selection to only import certain rows. The SQL Loader control file stores these setting in a syntax that is very SQL-like.

Hope this helps.