Re: Dropping Tables and Tablespaces

From: R Aponte <aponte_at_eglin.af.mil>
Date: 1997/07/30

You don't need to drop the tablespace, but if you want to drop the tablespace you must take it offline first then drop it. I do not recommend dropping the tablespace. Yes dropping the table is quicker than replacing the records one by one because it has to conduct a search and replace and yes when you drop the tables the indexes get drop.So you need to rebuild the indexes. However if you are using sqlloader to transfer the data into the database, every time you add a record it will create an index and this take time.

What I have done that it has work faster, was a little C proC program to drop the table, create the table, insert the data in the data with a 1000 record loop commit (so the rollbacks do not suffer and the checkpoint is better) and after the table is compelted, then build the indexes. It is faster

(Do not forget to have large rollback for this transaction and put your database in noarchivelog).

Good Luck!

Becky :-) Received on Wed Jul 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT