Dropping Tables and Tablespaces

From: Jack Pawsat <that.guy_at_abc.123>
Date: 1997/07/30

A little background:
I am running Oralce 7.2 on a Novell 4.12 NetWare Server. We download 1GB data from a Wang server weekly. I cannot download only recently changed information from the Wang; I have to download the whole tamale. Currently this is a weekly process, but we would like it to be more often.

So, I want to automate it as much as possible. To this end, I am writing several DOS batch programs and SQL scripts. Using SQL*Loader, the data is inserted into the Oracle tables.

When I try to overwrite the existing data using REPLACE, the process is very slow and I run out of extents. (One table has about 750,000 records and is 650mb large.) So, I drop the table and insert the data fresh.

Ok, now my questions begin:

0. Is there a better way?

  1. When I drop a table, should I drop its indexes as well? Or is this done automatically?
  2. I have assigned a tablespace to each table. When I drop the table, should I drop the table space? I said "yes", thinking that recreating the tablespace would lead to better optimization.
  3. After I drop the table and tablespace, I issue a COMMIT and then try to recreate the tablespace. But why do I get the following error every time? (Perhaps, I shouldn't drop the tablespace, but this error is bothering me)

CREATE TABLESPACE DORFSPACE
*
ORA-01119: error in creating database file 'SERVER2/VOL1:\DATABASE\DORF.DAT'
ORA-09200: sfccf: error creating file
OSD-02074: a truncated write occurred

Jack Pawsat Received on Wed Jul 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT