Adding Blank Spaces in Stored Procedures

From: Nilima Desai <nilima_desai_at_hp.com>
Date: 1997/07/25

Hello,

I have a created a stored procedure to pull information from a specific table from an Informix (ver. 7.12) database. This stored procedure then formats each of the fields in the table and appends this data to a text file.

I need to add spaces between fields when I am appending to the text file, or, if the field is empty, I want to assign blank spaces based on the length of the field. I have tried an IF statement that checks for each field, and if it is null it inserts blank spaces using open and close quotes.

However this does not seem to work. If I can get some hints on how to accomplish this it would be really great.

Thanks,

Nilima