Re: Here is a way to crash Solaris using ping!

From: Dean Smith <Dean_at_jupiter.net.uk>
Date: 1997/07/22

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> root_at_taylor.neca.com (root) writes:
>
> >As requested the results of fdisk -l
>
> And this crashes your Linux system? I have tried it several times
> on mine and it works just fine, as expected. Sounds like you may have
> a badly configured system.
>
> Also the Solaris ping crash does not require you to be root. A root
> user can always crash their system with 'rm -r /' on almost any Unix.
>
> Linux is impossible to crash from a non-root user account unlike its
> big brother Unices. Talk about rock solid.

Don't be silly, that's like saying Linux has no bugs, which as almost anyone will know is a daft thing to say about an OS, espicially one being developed as quickly as Linux.

And while we are on the subject, I seem to remember a rather nasty ping attack was posible against Linux and many other OS's a while back, didn't even need an account ( Solaris wasn't affected as it happens ) so even 'Mighty Linux' has problems like this.

Anyway, the point is having a 'My UNIX is better than your UNIX' argument is a bit like having an 'My Supercar is better than your Supercar'. At the end of the day everyone else would juist be happy to own a super car.

Dean Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT