Re: Here is a way to crash Solaris using ping!

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/07/01

root_at_taylor.neca.com (root) writes:

>As requested the results of fdisk -l

And this crashes your Linux system? I have tried it several times on mine and it works just fine, as expected. Sounds like you may have a badly configured system.

Also the Solaris ping crash does not require you to be root. A root user can always crash their system with 'rm -r /' on almost any Unix.

Linux is impossible to crash from a non-root user account unlike its big brother Unices. Talk about rock solid.

My system has had bad memory for a few months. Linux would give me kernel errors at boot time but somehow worked around the problem and didn't crash. I believe that it was marking that segment of memory as bad and not using it. Windows 95 and NT on the other hand would start up just fine and crash while I was doing something important. I didn't know about the bad memory until today. Its now out of my machine ofcourse.

Atif 'wanting to start another OS war' Khan aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu