Trigger to transparently stop an INSERT?

From: Tim Witort <trwAT_at_ATmedicalert.DOTorg>
Date: 1997/07/17

I REALLY doubt this is possible, but I've been wrong before...

As far as I know, if I write a BEFORE INSERT trigger on a table, there is no way that I can stop the insert from happening without raising an exception, right?

It would be nice if I could stop the insert without the application knowing it, but I don't see how it could be done.

Hoping against hope...