SYSTEM DSN for all users? Help, please!

From: Dmitri Issanov <alexia_at_lis.uiuc.edu>
Date: 1997/07/13

Hi

I've got a problem with ODBC settings on my NT 4.0 Workstation. The problem is that the user who is not in Administrators group cannot use (view, add) ODBC sources. YES, they are set as System DSNs.

When I login as such a user (I created a sample user who is the member of USERS and GUESTS groups) and open System DSN tab in the Control Panel ODBC applet, it is blank. User DSN tab shows some ODBC drivers although not all (I can see them all being logged in as Administrator). And again, I cannot add User DSN.
I wrote the Perl script that uses ODBC and it works good when I run it being logged in as a user who is in Administrators group, when I run it as a user who is not Admin, it says: "No default ODBC driver, cannot find ODBC source".

I converted file system from FAT to NTFS thinking it could help. It didn't.
I updated ODBC drivers and ODBC manager with the latest ones from Microsoft Web site. No effect.
I checked all the permissions I could imagine. They are all set "Full control for Everyone" since I didn't set any permissions after file system conversion.

I don't know what is wrong: ODBC settings, user account, permissions or something else. When I try to do the same things on another NT 4.0 machine, it works well although I cannot spot any configuration difference between them.

I will really appreciate any ideas about this case. Please, e-mail me: issanov_at_alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

        Thanks in advance
                                                        Dmitri Issanov