Client-side status/progress bar???

From: Bryan Dollery <bryan_at_bryan.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/12

--------------756C0742AD42E0F5D93305EA

Hi (again)

I am writing an application. It has a VB front end (very pretty), and a pl/sql engine on an oracle 7.1 server as the back end (very powerful).

The VB code initiates a PL/SQL routine which goes away an processes possibly hundreds of thousands of records. This takes time.

I would like the VB app to display a progress bar, but there are two problems:

  1. The server routine exclusively uses updateable cursors.
  2. The VB app blocks awaiting the end of the server routines.

The first problem means that there can be no commits, and therefore a progress table can't be updated, and then asynchronously read by VB.

The second problem means that even if there were a solution to the first problem, the second problem would make it redundant.

Just to make things worse. The VB app is running under a 16bit MS-Windows environment, and therefore I can't simply strip off another thread to initiate the procedure, and hence solve the second problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to sort this out?

Bryan

Bryan Dollery BSc.(Hons).
MD - ByteSmart Systems Ltd.
--------------756C0742AD42E0F5D93305EA

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bryan Dollery
n:              Dollery;Bryan
org:            ByteSmart Systems Ltd.
adr:            ;;;;;;England
email;internet: bryan_at_bryan.prestel.co.uk
note:           Consultant Software Engineer
=0A=
B.Sc. (Hons). Software Engineering
=0A=
MD - ByteSmart Systems Ltd.