VB 3.0 & Oracle SQL*Net 2.x

From: Pink Cheung <pinkcth_at_asiaonline.net>
Date: 1997/07/10

<HTML>

Hi all,

<P>My company now needs to upgrade SQL*Net driver from ver 1.x to ver 2.x=
=2E
<BR>However, our VB 3.0 app caused GPF after idling for about ten minutes=
=2E
<BR>The follow is our config:

<P>Win95
<BR>VB 3.0
<BR>MS Jet Engine 2.0
<BR>Oracle 7.2.x on HP unix host
<BR>SQL*Net 2.x DLLs (e.g. MSOCKLIB.DLL, SQLTCP.DLL, COREWIN.DLL, etc.)
<BR>Novell Lan Workplace MNOVLWP.DLL
<BR>** Note: all these are 16-bit version, which is part of our company
policies we have to follow :(

<P>Our VB apps work fine except after idling for about ten minutes.=A1@ T=
he
usual scenerio is like this:
<BR>1) a user open two or more VP apps that connect to Oracle DB thru ODB=
C,
all these apps, DLLs, ODBC, SQL*Net stuff are 16-bit version.
<BR>2) the user do the required data manipulation
<BR>3) leave the PC without closing these apps (due to slow app startup
time, busy LAN, etc.)
<BR>4) after about ten minutes, the VB apps cause GPF on MSOCKLIB.DLL
<BR>5) and then other VB apps will caused GPF on ODBC.DLL
<BR>6) all these VB apps quit

<P>The GPF problem occurred before (i.e. even when we're still using SQL*=
Net
1.x DLLs) but less frequent than now.
<BR>Our VB apps open the DB connect on startup till exit.=A1@ We tried to=
 make
the connection be openned only when required but the time for establishin= g
the ODBC connection is too long that our user cannot accept. :(

<P>Is there any one have similar config? Any idea on how to overcome the
GPF problem?=A1@=A1@ If you have similar config but never/seldom hit this=  problem,=A1@
can you show me the version of ODBC, Jet engine, SQL*Net, etc. in your system?
<BR>Anyway, it is good enough to propose me a solution that I can connect=

Oracle smootly and STEADILY using a 16-bit VB.
<PRE>Your help may save my life!=A1@ Thank you.</PRE>

<PRE>Regards,=A1@

Pink Cheung

Pink Cheung can be reached at pinkcth_at_asiaonline.net :)

I like...
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ ....... The = free UNIX operating system
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ `:::'=A1= @=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ .......= =A1@ ......
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ :::=A1= @ *=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ `= ::.=A1@=A1@=A1@ ::'

=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ ::: =
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ :::=A1=
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ ::: =
=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@=A1@ ..:::.......=

If you don't know what it is,
=2E..try using a fixed pitch font.</PRE>
</HTML>