Problems setting up a Names Server

From: <rtravsky_at_uwyo.edu>
Date: 1997/07/07

We're having a spot of trouble bringing up a names server on our system (Oracle 7.3). We *think* we've got everything set up right, but we get some puzzling error messages.

Immediately upon starting namesctl, we get the message

  NNL-00018: warning: could not contact default name server

That's before we can start anything! The listener works ok, we can connect to the database, etc, so this seems odd.

If we issue a start command, we get error

  NNO-00300: Message 300 not found; No message file for     product=NETWORK, facility=NNO

Trying to specify a server gets us

  NMP-00007: I/O failure
  NPL-00309: requested ASN.1 type tag 16 does not match

     received type tag 1

Ok, we're stumped. The messages book doesn't list these and we haven't been able to find anything on the web. We have a call in to Oracle Support but as this is a "peak calling period" we've had to leave a message (no callback yet).

Any hints greatly appreciated!

(Please CC me by email. Our feed - thank you Sprint [NOT] - is extremely flaky. In fact, I'm using DejaNews to post this as I have no guarantee this'll get out otherwise.)