Re: importing large tables

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/06/29

Most likely you have one or more FOREIGN KEY constraints which reference that PRIMARY KEY. Find out the definition(s) of those FK constraints and write them into a SQL script (you will need it later on). Run the following SQL statement:

ALTER TABLE <table_name> DROP PRIMARY KEY CASCADE;

This drops the PK constraint on your table, drops the unique index ORACLE creates to enforce the PK constraint and drops all the FK constraints based on that PK. After the load, re-create the PK constraint and the FK constraints (using the SQL script that you created previously).

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu