Re: importing large tables

From: Stuart Turton <sturton_at_maderich.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/29

Try 'ALTER TABLE DISABLE CONSTRAINT PK_...

Oracle will not allow you to drop an Index which is used by a constraint.

If you disable the associated constraint the index is automatically dropped.
Then you can use ALTER TABLE ENABLE CONSTRAINT ...

You can create your index with your choice of tablespace, initial extent, next extents, etc..
The ENABLE CONSTRAINT .. command will look for a matching unique index and 'take it over' for use by the constraint. Even better the column information for the index is stored in USER_CONSTRAINTS or ALL_CONSTRAINTS, so you can automatically generate index creation statements even though the index has been dropped.