Re: importing a compressed .dmp

From: Michael A. Rife <MRife_at_admin.usf.edu>
Date: 1997/06/26

On Unix you can use a named pipe. Here are the basics:

  mknod named_pipe -p
  nohup uncompress < oracle.dmp.Z > named_pipe &   nohup imp file = named_pipe ... &

The advantage of doing this is if you do not have enough diskspace to uncompress the dmp file. You don't have to use alternate media like tape.

To export do the reverse:

  mknod named_pipe -p
  nohup exp file=named_pipe ... &
  nohup compress < named_pipe > oracle.dmp.Z &

In article <33B0C4FD.664DFF_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>, stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk says...