Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1997/06/18

Lee Doty wrote:
> snip
>
> ARGH! Even "professional"-subjected newsgroups have trollers. I
> snip
> Sure, oracle is better in many more respects, sure this is an oracle
> newsgroup, but we just sound like insecure children for knocking other
> DBMSes.

So technically complete and correct comments like "awesome" when applied to Sybase 11 are in your opinion the go for this type of newsgroup? Have a good life...

> [snip
> "Stimpy, your wealth of ignorance asounds me"
>
> Transact-SQL correlates to PL/SQL, _not_ SQL. Your statement is like
> saying, "...at least my car uses an engine, instead of that aberration
> known as the suspension!"

Only in your imagination does it correlate to PL/SQL. Your statements don't make a law, I'm afraid... The fact that Sybase needs a lot of Transact-SQL to do what can be done in ORACLE by simply using vanilla and standard SQL doesn't count for anything, does it? How about being able to use standard SQL-DDL to define things like referential integrity and triggers in one go, instead of having to write procedures for just about anything that is not a straight read/write? How about supproting the latest ANSI-SQL standards in its ENTIRETY?

> snip
> I'm sure you won't be able to resist a counter-flame, or start a new
> thread appropriately titled "Oracle rules, sybase sux" (why is it
> always "sux"... annoying), please don't bother. I'm sure everyone's
> heard it before. If you want to give that type of response, take it
> to email... and while you're at it, "looking at your navel"??? explain
> that, if you will.

Hey, a "counter-flame" doesn't exist by definition without an "original flame". This is a bi-directional media, so don't be surprised to get something back when you dish it out... As for the "sux" bit, you suggested it, not me. Go ahead, I won't look or read...

Ah, the "gaze at the navel" bit, you mean? A metaphore for the concentration of a self-appointed "guru" to achieve an altered state of perception or meditation. It fundamentaly serves the purpose of "passing the time" until such interesting bits as real row-locking and many others finally see the light of day at Sybase (or should I say "Britton-Lee re-invented"?).

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_acay.com.au Received on Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT