Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Lee Doty <iarld_at_connectnet.com>
Date: 1997/06/17

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au> wrote:

>Todd Boss wrote:
>> >You gotta be joking...
>> >
>> >Nuno Souto
>> >nsouto_at_acay.com.au
>>
>> Gee, there's an intelligent addition to this discussion! Thanks for your
>> thoughtful and well-researched response!
>>

>Thanx, it's a pleasure. BTW, if one intends to jibe ORACLE in favour of
>perenial jerk favourite Sybase, why not eliminate
>comp.databases.oracle.* from the posts? Most of us ORACLE users don't
>give two hoots about the opinions or otherwise of Sybase junkies, so why
>bother? Stay on comp.databases.sybase and gaze at your navel, it seems
>to be a good activity while one waits for Sybase to catch up to ORACLE.

ARGH! Even "professional"-subjected newsgroups have trollers. I thought most of you hung out in rec.martial-arts, and alt.fan.90210, and other havens for the emotionally immature.

There are a lot of good things about sybase, and MS SQL Server, for that matter.

Sure, oracle is better in many more respects, sure this is an oracle newsgroup, but we just sound like insecure children for knocking other DBMSes.

[snip...mildly coherant Sybase abuse]

>wasn't such a widespread activity in the company, too... As for Sybase,
>I can't offer my comparison: I simply refuse to use it or SQL Server for
>that matter. I'd rather use Ingres, at least it uses SQL instead of that
>aberration Transact-SQL...

"Stimpy, your wealth of ignorance asounds me"

Transact-SQL correlates to PL/SQL, _not_ SQL. Your statement is like saying, "...at least my car uses an engine, instead of that aberration known as the suspension!"

To tell you the truth, I like both for different reasons.

>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_acay.com.au

I'm sure you won't be able to resist a counter-flame, or start a new thread appropriately titled "Oracle rules, sybase sux" (why is it always "sux"... annoying), please don't bother. I'm sure everyone's heard it before. If you want to give that type of response, take it to email... and while you're at it, "looking at your navel"??? explain that, if you will.

-Lee

"It can't rain all the time" Received on Tue Jun 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT