Re: Timing Statistics

From: $ Robert $ <drsql_at_tir.com>
Date: 1997/06/18

Joost Ouwerkerk wrote:

> In SQL*Plus 3.1 I can get a rough idea of how well my SQL script is
> performing by means of the SET TIMING ON command. Is SQL*Plus
> returning this or is it coming from the database server? And in what
> units is this number?
>
> TIA,
>
> Joost Ouwerkerk
> HSC Foundation

The units are OS dependent. And the values are coming from SQL*Plus and represent elapse time. The number DOES NOT mean cpu time. If you want to know more information about your sql

execute the following in sql*plus:

Alter session set sql_trace = true;

This will create a trace file. The location is again OS dependent.

Then run the trace file through tkprof and you will get actual cpu time for each sql statement that you run after you alter your session.

One more note the init.ora file may need to have the timed_statistics = true parameter set.

Take care,
bob Received on Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT