Re: sql question...

From: Alex Heney <HENEYA_at_ENTCF3XSPAM.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/13

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:22:59 -0400, oispeggy_at_acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

>Learn something new every day....
>
>1.
>select lname, fname This returns everyone with 'N' or 'G' or ' '.
>from resdemo None with 'Y'. None with null.
>where fellow != 'Y'

 <snip>

>What surprised me is that #1 did not return anyone with a null value?
>I thought it would? Why didn't it?

Basically, NULL values are ignored in any test using comparison operators (=, !=, >, <, etc.). In order to cater for NULL values, you either have to wrap NVL around the item, or explicitly use the IS (NOT) NULL operator.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Remove XSPAM from mail_id if replying via email.
Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.