sql question...

From: <oispeggy_at_acsu.buffalo.edu>
Date: 1997/06/12

Learn something new every day....

1.

select lname, fname          This returns everyone with 'N' or 'G' or ' '.
from resdemo                 None with 'Y'.  None with null.
where fellow != 'Y'

2.
select lname, fname This returns only those with null. from resdemo
where fellow is null

3.
select lname, fname This returns only those with ' '. from resdemo
where fellow = ' '

What surprised me is that #1 did not return anyone with a null value? I thought it would? Why didn't it?

Thanks,