Precision in numbers

From: Bruce Murphy <murphbd_at_infinet.com>
Date: 1997/06/03

I work for a research lab where precision is very important. I was asked today to allow for a numeric field to be able to allow different precision to be held and not be changed by the database. For example:

3.12 would be added for a sample.
3.124 would be added for another sample

The user (engineers) does not want the precision to be lost. If the field is defined as a double or float with four decimal places the numbers are stored as:

3.1200
3.1240

How can one get the precision to be maintained for both reporting and calculations? Thanks for any help!

One thought we had was to use a text field and then use the conversion to number, but I don't like this approach.

Bruce Murphy Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT