SQL Question !?

From: Joost Ouwerkerk <owrkrj_at_mailhub.sickkids.on.ca>
Date: 1997/05/27

I can't seem to find any documentation about this, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me:

What is the logic for determining what is the ideal order for listing table names after the FROM clause in a SELECT statement? I didn't think there was one, until I discovered significant performance enhancements simply by placing one table name before another. It's pretty much trial and error, though. What's the deal?

eg. SELECT x, y FROM a, b WHERE x=y; might be significantly faster than:
  SELECT x,y FROM b, a WHERE x=y;

Anyone?

Joost Ouwerkerk
HSC Foundation,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT