Re: (Was Stored Procedures) Query/Views etc

From: Marc Scheuner <marc.scheuner_at_NO.SPAM.PLEASE.ch>
Date: 1997/05/22

Nnoor_at_cris.com (NNOOR) wrote:
>The only reason I didn't use views that:
>- Almost all of the queries have variables which are filled in at
> run time.
>- I don't know of any way to "pass" variables to views.
>- Most importantly, I thought that if I call the view with a SELECT...
> ...WHERE query, I am stuck with the same problem that it will first
> come back to the client for building a plan.

Well, I guess in your situation the best way to go are views, which can offload a lot of processing (especially the joins) to the server.

You can always limit the result set of a view by adding a WHERE clause. Also, since you can pack a lot of logic into a view (joins, where clauses), the statement that DOES go to the server for parsing will be a lot smaller (in shear size), so it will ease the load on the network.

Or you could switch to a decent database server, that allows you to return result sets from stored procedures <grin>, e.g. Interbase Server.

Marc

[ Marc Scheuner, marc.scheuner_at_berner.ch CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland ]