Re: (Was Stored Procedures) Query/Views etc

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

>As Jasper already pointed out, for a complex query to return a result
>set, I'd use either a view or a parametrized TQuery (don't forget to
>prepare it before using it!).

OK. So I can't use Oracle stored procedures to return a result set. Too bad. Guess I have to wait for the v8. In the mean time, I have to figure out a way to speed up the query execution.

I have some long and complex queries stored. A slow and long distance connection to the centeral DB server make things worse. I didn't want my app to take a hit when ever it tried to use a pass thru SQL. From what I understand, when a query is executed, the server first first responds with the meta data. A query plan is then built on the client app and resbmited to the server for execution (somehow it doesn't make sense to me). I thought it would be nice to store the SQL on server in the compiled form so calling them would be a snap.

The only reason I didn't use views that: - Almost all of the queries have variables which are filled in at   run time.
- I don't know of any way to "pass" variables to views. - Most importantly, I thought that if I call the view with a SELECT...   ...WHERE query, I am stuck with the same problem that it will first   come back to the client for building a plan.

What do you suggest a best solution to this equation is?

Thanks *very much* for your help.

Regards,
--nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT