Re: Pro*C or OCI?

From: Carl Hoang <choang_at_visi.com>
Date: 1997/05/15

Pre-Compiler for Pro*C does not generate OCI calls but calls to the Database library directly. Check out the Q&A section in the Pro*C manual.

OCI is much more complex to program and steep learning curve. Use Pro*C for simpler method and get the job done quicker.

On Tue, 13 May 1997 21:22:05 -0400, Gilles Pétrin <gpetrin_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Pro*C is C code with embedded SQL statements. The pre-compiler takes
>these SQL statements and translates them into OCI calls producing a
>"standard" C program that can then be compiled. It is also possible to
>write directly "in OCI" without going through the pre-compilation step.
>
>So: a) Pro*C is much simpler to code, document, understand, etc. than
>OCI, b) You do not have much control over the translation process done
>by the pre-compiler and I have seen some people who did not like the
>resulting C code (too many "goto's" they were saying), c) Using OCI you
>have the opportunity to control every aspect of database access which
>may be beneficial if response time is critical (ex: real-time control
>systems).
>
>My opinion: I don't see why somebody would use OCI. So far Pro*C
>has been just fine for all the applications I worked on.
>
>Gilles Petrin
>Consultant

     Carl Hoang              choang_at_visi.com
     SofTech Systems, Inc.   (612) 424-7886