Re: Names vs. NameServer

From: xiong feng <xiong_at_meibm7.cen.uiuc.edu>
Date: 1997/05/09

awm_at_luers.qosina.com (Aram Mirzadeh) writes:

>I'm trying to install Oracle 7.3.2.2.1 WorkGroup Server on a NT 4.0 server.
>During the custom install, you have the option of installing the Names Server.

>I do have experience setting up a 7.1 on a solaris box, but not much else...
>since then. What's the difference between setting up a SQL*Net and SQL*Names?

Names uses a Nameserver to pass down the location of the databases. When you use the regular sqlnet configuration, a tnsnames.ora file stores all the database information, and each client retrieves the info from their own local tnsnames.ora files. In a Nameserver model, the database info is stored in teh Nameserver, and each client calls the Nameserver to retrieve the database connection info.

Basically, the tnsnames.ora method is simpler, but you need to update all the tnsnames.ora files on all your client machines if there are any changes. With the nameserver, any changes is done on the server and all clients can use it. So if you have thousands of users or don't know who is connecting to your databse, nameserver is the way to go.

Feng Xiong
Rockwell Automation

--
____   __   ___   ___  ====== Feng Xiong =========== xiong_at_uiuc.edu =====
   /  /  | |   |    /    Macross Lodoss Maison |  Will trade kidney for