Names vs. NameServer

From: Aram Mirzadeh <awm_at_luers.qosina.com>
Date: 1997/05/09

Greetings,

I'm trying to install Oracle 7.3.2.2.1 WorkGroup Server on a NT 4.0 server. During the custom install, you have the option of installing the Names Server.

I do have experience setting up a 7.1 on a solaris box, but not much else... since then. What's the difference between setting up a SQL*Net and SQL*Names? Is v2 still the best way to connect via TCP/IP?

My application is going to be several small tables, single database. Connections are going to be from DOS 6, Win 3.1, Win 3.11 all connected to a Novell Server to Win95, WinNT 4.0 clients connected to another NT 4.0 server. The 95, and NT machines are all TCP/IP, where most of the Dos, and Windows machines are IPX only. I imagine I need to get winsock and tcpip on all of them.

I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

<Aram> Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT