Re: problems with odbc connect to oracle

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_>
Date: 1997/05/06

Branko Kannenberg [HF] <kannenbe_at_cck.uni-kl.de> wrote in article <3369C3AC.700C_at_cck.uni-kl.de>...
> Hi Miles !
>
> > > visigenic: Error attempting logon
> > > openlink: Connection rejected by datasource
> > > intersolv: ora-12196:TNS: received an error from TNS
> > >[SNIPPED]
> >
> > Are you trying to run ODBC on the NT server to connect to the NT
> > server, or on a client?
> I'm running ODBC on the server, everything is happening there.
>
> > Are the ODBC drivers 16 Bit or 32 Bit?
> I hope they are 32bit, they are all for Win NT, and at least with the
> Openlink lite 32 driver I am sure it is 32bit.
>
> > Have you installed the 16 Bit
> > SQL*Net as well as the 32 Bit if you are running 95 or NT
> I have installed SqlNet v2.2.2.1.0 for NT, I think it is 32bit. I have
> no 16 bit version.
>
> > Which versions of SQL*Net are you using? Which protocol adapters &
> > versions.
> TCP/IP Protocol adapter v2.2.2.1.0, just this one.
>
> > Which Winsock (if using TCP/IP).
> I use the protocol stack that comes with NT.
>
> > Have you put the tnsnames and sql*net ora files in ORAWIN and ORANT?
> I have no ORAWIN directory, but the mentioned files reside in
> ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN.
>
> > Have you tried turning SQL*Net tracing (in sqlnet.ora, use the SQL*Net
> > editor if you have it)
> No, didn't try. don't have the editor. How do I use it ?
>
> > Are you trying to run Oracle Names; is autodiscovery truned on?
> Don't know, but I don't think so...?
>
> Thanx for your answer!
>
> Ciao, Branko(Hiwi CCK).

Hmmm.

SQL*Plus (32 bit) works. Therefore the normal logon works. This would be SQL*Net protocol IPC.

If the drivers are truly 32 bit, they should not need SQL*Net and TCP/IP protocol adapters at all--they should be able to connect via IPC. Where the ODBC administrator requires an entry for SQL*Net connect string, just add a space. or 2:.

If the drivers cannot connect via IPC, then SQL*Net is needed to loopback.  I assume that you have set up tnsnames etc ok.

Firstly, how to turn on tracing. Your sqlnet.ora file should have AUTOMATIC_IPC=ON
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=ADMIN << highest trace level. TNSPING.TRACE_LEVEL=ADMIN
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=c:\orant\network\trace TNSPING.TRACE_DIRECTORY=c:\orant\network\trace

there may be other stuff--leave it there.

Try using tnsping that comes with SQL*Net. The 32 bit bit one is a command line application; tnsping <service name from tnsnames.ora>. You should now see a file in the trace directory. Read it. At the end you should see ora-12196; the preceeding text will give a clue as to whats missing.

It may contain complaints about missing protocols. They're normal.

I have 32 bit odbc working here. But its Oracle ODBC 1.15.3.1.0A, with SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.4 and SQL*Net Server (you need both for this!!) 2.3.2.1.4, and TCP/IP Adapter 2.3.21.4.

I had problems with 16 bit tcp/ip loopback with 2.3.2.1.4 of the 16 bit TCP/IP, but an upgrad e to 2.3.2.1.5 magically cured that.

Failing all else, try downloading the Oracle ODBC from the web site. Its free (but an 11Mb download!!).

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd