Re: problems with odbc connect to oracle

From: Branko Kannenberg [HF] <kannenbe_at_cck.uni-kl.de>
Date: 1997/05/02

Hi Miles !

> > I have big problems connecting to an oracle database using ODBC.
> > I use a WinNT 4.0 Server machine which runs Oracle 7.2. I installed
> > SqlNet Server and Client, set up an database alias and connecting to
> > this alias with SqlPlus works fine.
> > But when I try to set up a system data source with the new microsoft
> > odbc manager, i can use every odbc driver I have, i can't connect.
> > I tried visigenics driver (v2.0), openlink lite 32 and Intersolv v2.12
> > driver.
> > When I try to connect with the ODBC test tool, I get the following error
> > messages:
> > visigenic: Error attempting logon
> > openlink: Connection rejected by datasource
> > intersolv: ora-12196:TNS: received an error from TNS
> >
> > I have no idea what could be the problem, any ideas ?
> >
> > Ciao, Branko(Hiwi CCK).
> >

> More info needed to solve the problem:
Ok, here it comes:

> Are you trying to run ODBC on the NT server to connect to the NT
> server, or on a client?

I'm running ODBC on the server, everything is happening there.

> Are the ODBC drivers 16 Bit or 32 Bit?
I hope they are 32bit, they are all for Win NT, and at least with the Openlink lite 32 driver I am sure it is 32bit.

> Have you installed the 16 Bit
> SQL*Net as well as the 32 Bit if you are running 95 or NT
I have installed SqlNet v2.2.2.1.0 for NT, I think it is 32bit. I have no 16 bit version.

> Which versions of SQL*Net are you using? Which protocol adapters &
> versions.

TCP/IP Protocol adapter v2.2.2.1.0, just this one.

> Which Winsock (if using TCP/IP).

I use the protocol stack that comes with NT.

> Have you put the tnsnames and sql*net ora files in ORAWIN and ORANT?
I have no ORAWIN directory, but the mentioned files reside in ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN.
> Have you tried turning SQL*Net tracing (in sqlnet.ora, use the SQL*Net
> editor if you have it)

No, didn't try. don't have the editor. How do I use it ?

> Are you trying to run Oracle Names; is autodiscovery truned on?
Don't know, but I don't think so...?

Thanx for your answer!

Ciao, Branko(Hiwi CCK). Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT