Re: problems with odbc connect to oracle

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_>
Date: 1997/05/01

Branko Kannenberg [HF] <kannenbe_at_cck.uni-kl.de> wrote in article <335F7F3F.588C_at_cck.uni-kl.de>...
> Hi there !
>
> I have big problems connecting to an oracle database using ODBC.
> I use a WinNT 4.0 Server machine which runs Oracle 7.2. I installed
> SqlNet Server and Client, set up an database alias and connecting to
> this alias with SqlPlus works fine.
> But when I try to set up a system data source with the new microsoft
> odbc manager, i can use every odbc driver I have, i can't connect.
> I tried visigenics driver (v2.0), openlink lite 32 and Intersolv v2.12
> driver.
> When I try to connect with the ODBC test tool, I get the following error
> messages:
> visigenic: Error attempting logon
> openlink: Connection rejected by datasource
> intersolv: ora-12196:TNS: received an error from TNS
>
> I have no idea what could be the problem, any ideas ?
>
> Ciao, Branko(Hiwi CCK).

More info needed to solve the problem:

Are you trying to run ODBC on the NT server to connect to the NT server, or on a client?
What types of client?

Are the ODBC drivers 16 Bit or 32 Bit? Have you installed the 16 Bit SQL*Net as well as the 32 Bit if you are running 95 or NT

Which versions of SQL*Net are you using? Which protocol adapters & versions. Which Winsock (if using TCP/IP). Do the clients have all the correct network protocols installed.

Have you put the tnsnames and sql*net ora files in ORAWIN and ORANT?

Have you tried turning SQL*Net tracing (in sqlnet.ora, use the SQL*Net editor if you have it)

Are you trying to run Oracle Names; is autodiscovery truned on?

Its not a simple solution when there are so many variables!

Miles

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd