Hardware config for Data Warehousing ??

From: Sudheer Marisetti <marisett_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: 1997/04/21

We are in the process of evaluating hardware and software for a medium sized (between 20-40 Gb) data warehouse. We have decided to use Oracle 7.3.2 as the back-end and Gentia (MDD) as the front end. What I am looking for is the following:

(1) What UNIX platform is most suited for our needs? The mgt. has
decided on an HP platform. So do you know of any specific model that would suit Data Warehouse applications.
(2) What type of disk configuration is suitable - RAID-0/3/5? I have a
vendor who keeps insisting that RAID-0 is optimal for DW applications. If RAID-5 which vendor is good? (EMC, etc.) Does anyone have experience with RAID-S configuration that EMC tauts?
(3) How many processors would be optimal from your experience? I know
this applicationa and usage dependent but I would appreciate any pointers to research more (like web pages, white papers, etc.).

Also any pointers white papers or web pages on any of the above questions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sudheer Marisetti
Abacus Concepts Inc. Received on Mon Apr 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT