Re: running a plex server via cron

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/22

In article <861655282.5885_at_dejanews.com>, ltost_at_systemautomation.com writes
>I'm currently using triggers in combination with plex and Pro*C to send
>updates to a foreign database. What i'm doing is getting the actual SQL
>statement which fired the trigger (using v$sqlarea, v$session, and
>v$mystat) and calling my C function using the SQL statement as a
>parameter. The C function will do something then with that statement
>(send it off the the other db). What i've done is create a shell script
>which will startup and shutdown any single server or all servers listed in
>an 'ACTIVE' file. Each server has its own directory and plex binary. The
>shell script basically CD's into the directory and does a 'plex @.info
>server_name &'. My wraparound shell script works fine if i run it
>interactively... but when i cron it i get the following error:
>
>ORACLE error detected (plex.c, 674):
>
>Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-03113

Apologies if this is too obvious, but the usual cause of Oracle not being able to find message text is that ORACLE_HOME is not set correctly.

cron does not run your .profile or .login script, so if your environment is dependent on them, this might explain the problem.

Try amending your shell script to set up the environment itself.

--
Jim Smith