Re: Encryption within oracle tables

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/03/17

In article <332987B9.1213_at_hec.ca>,
Claire Darbaud <Claire.Darbaud_at_hec.ca> wrote:
> * how can you encrypt password and store them in the database?
> * how can you compare given password to stored encrypted password?

Just got an idea from the tools group (I think). To store an encrypted pw, create a dummy user, and for each password entered, issue the command: alter user dummy identified by <the password>; Then select (from v$user, or wherever the encrypted passwords are stored) the password for your dummy user, and store that encrypted value in your own table.

When your user comes back and you prompt for his password, do the Alter User command followed by the Select, and compare the encrypted password with the one previously stored in your own table for that particular user.

Don't know if it will work, but it's worth trying.

Regards,
Steve Cosner Received on Mon Mar 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST