Re: ORACLE ON NETWARE - ANY GOOD?

From: Stephan Voigt <svoigt_at_voigt-gmbh.de>
Date: 1997/02/19

Paul Evans wrote:

> I've heard that Oracle on Netware had or has got massive problems, with
> things like server abends and general reliability. is this true?
>
> Paul Evans
> MF Systems Ltd.Paul

There can be many problems with netware. If you have to use oracle on netware,
be sure to use the latest patches from novell for all components of the server. Otherwise you will meet numerous abends and hangs. We had many problems during upgrading to a newer version of oracle. Another problem is that Netware is non-preemptive and has no virtual memory management with no swapping. A simple protection exception will cause the server to abend. That means, if there is not enough memory for a certain reason you will get errors that may abend the server.
I would prefer NT for a new server. We are still using the Netware (4.1 and Oracle 7.3.2) beacause it has more performance as a file-server than NT.

Stephan Received on Wed Feb 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST