Re: Oracle books

From: Gary M. Greenberg <garyg_at_southeast.net>
Date: 1997/02/15

In article <1997Feb14.103407_at_winnie>, 96gao_at_wmich.edu wrote: [posted && mailed]
> Is there anyone who used the book Oracle Unleashed published by
> Sams Publishing? Does its CD-ROM have Oracle Developer/2000 and
> Oracle Designer/2000?
>
> I planed to buy either Oracle Unleased or Develop Client/Server
> Applications with Oracle Developer/2000. But both books are
> not available in local bookstores.

I've recently purchased Oracle, The Complete Reference: Electronic Edition by Oracle Press/Osbourne and it's good for me (Oracle and I are just getting acquainted ;-}). I find it very useful though the CD-ROM only runs on Win-95 and NT 4.0 which imho SUX 'cause I really want it on my Sun workstation too.

There are a few small typos in Appendix A, which is the complete sample tables used to illustrate the book's examples. Having this is nice 'cause you can copy the whole Appendix as a single file, fix the typos, split off the 2 SQL scripts, comment lines matching the regexp: ^The \([A-Z]*\) Table$
add "create cluster ..." and "create index ... on Cluster ..." statements, then load the whole set of samples. ;-)

For those using this, here are the errors ...

There are a few cases where literal strings are quoted only on one side: The INVOICE Table lacks a single quote before VICTORIA LYNN' The LEDGER Table lacks several single quotes; one on a GRINDING BAT and one on the line:
'13-JAN-01','BOUGHT'.'GRINDING BAT',10,'EACH,.03... Search for:
,VICTORIA LYNN'
'EACH,
'GRINDING BAT, and you'll have all three errors.
Before using the Worker and Workerskill tables create a cluster and index it.

<Nit>
What where they smoking when they cut this CD? Isn't UNIX a large Oracle platfrom? Why restrict it to just one platform other than sheer laziness? </Nit>

I also use the Oracle Press DBA Handbook and Feuerstein's Oracle PL/SQL Programming (which is from O'Reilly & Assoc.). They're both good references.

I typically get my books from LibHiTech (save @20%+tax). I got the Electronic Oracle and Developers Guide _really_ inexpensively by joining the SLIC online thru www.booksonline.com (initial membership is 3 books for $1.99 each -- total w/ s&h about $15.00).

Hope that's useful.
Cheers,

gary         -=- visit The C Programmers' Reference -=-
          http://users.southeast.net/~garyg/C_ref/C/c.html
               The AVENUE Programmers' Class Requests
             http://users.southeast.net/~garyg/class.htm