Re: calling windows .DLL from ORACLE Forms?

From: Mike Proctor <mp_at_mg-tc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/12

Three places to look

  1. Your help files in Forms 4.5 (I'm presuming 4.5 because of what you want to do), look up the Forms built-in ORA_FFI package.
  2. Oracle web pages -> White Papers, 'Boosting Development Productivity with Foreign Function Calls'.
  3. \FORMS45\DEMOS\.... There are a number of examples there, see especially \FORMS45\DEMOS\DLL Also one that uses Windows Help from a Form, very useful if you have your own Windows Help compiler.

These all discuss/rely on the ORA_FFI package, which works well enough, *most* of the time, and it's a great way to add some really useful functionality.

 Word of warning, If you have Developer 2000 ver 1.0 then (I'm told by Oracle Support, when I had this problem), the dll stays in memory/attached while your application is running, but in Developer 2000 ver 1.1 (Forms 4.5.6.5.5), each time you close a form, the dll is 'dropped' from memory, and the next/previous form in your stack which makes a call to the dll will raise an exception, regarding the missing function/dll library.

You can get round this, and Oracle issued an update to the Forms pl/sql library file for the DLL example above, which shows how this is done. (They happily faxed this to me, it's not long, 2-3 pages) The solution in a nutshell, was to re-load the dll before each call to the required function. This proved, in my case at least, not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Good luck, this is a pretty satisfying package to get to grips with.

Mike

In article <32F05EBF.57C0_at_redestb.es>, Jorge Fernandez Suarez <cascoscuro_at_redestb.es> writes

--
Mike Proctor                    Database Consultants International (UK)

Mike_Proctor_at_realworld.com      Oracle vision.
                                Only Oracle.
                                All the time.